Areca Palm is an indoor plant. Areca Palm is widely used to decorate the house. These stones play an important role in maintaining the beauty of tall buildings. Areca Palm contributes significantly to the balance of oxygen inside the house. Because Areca Palm is an indoor plant, our pets like dogs or cats roam around. We need to be aware of whether Areca Palm does any harm to dogs or cats. Let us know Is areca palm toxic to cats?
Areca Palm :
The Areca Palm is a flowering plant belonging to the Areca family. Its height ranges from 10 to 30 feet. They do not need much sunlight to survive. 2 to 3 hours a day in sunlight is enough. Areca Palm generally grows well in loamy soil. Because Areca Palm is an indoor plant, this plant does not need much water. Water every 2 or 3 days. Areca Palm is sometimes lacking in nutrients to grow indoors in a small amount of soil, so the tub soil needs occasional application of nitrogen-rich urea fertilizer. It does not lack plant food, and the plant can grow beautifully.
Is areca palm toxic to cats:
One thing you will be happy to know is that Areca palm is not harmful to cats except for a few species. Among the harmful species are latex and other chemical compounds. These compounds can cause a variety of problems in the body of a dog or cat. American Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) reports that Areca Palm is not toxic to cats. Poisonous or not, there are a few things to keep in mind if you have a cat in your home. It is described below:
- Cats can cause digestive problems if they eat any part of the plant. If the cat eats the leaves or other parts of the Areca Palm, the cat may experience various problems including vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. If such problems occur, the animal should be taken to the vet as soon as possible. Usually, these problems do not last long. All these problems can cause serious damage if not taken to the vet quickly.
- Areca palm seeds can be harmful to cats. Areca Palms that are kept indoors usually do not bear berries. It is very rare to get berries on Areca Palm, because indoors the amount of sunlight that the tree gets, it is not possible to catch flowers on this tree. However, if the cat eats the berries, it should be taken to the vet as soon as possible.
- We know Areca Palm is not poisonous. But then if the cat eats too much Areca Palm it can cause intestinal obstruction. Also, chewing on the plant or tearing off the leaves can damage the plant.
What to do if your cat eats areca palm?
- If the cat eats the leaves of the Areca palm tree, do not get excited and stay calm. Observe the cat closely
- If the cat has mild vomiting or diarrhea, there is usually no cause for concern.
- But if the cat has unusual or repeated vomiting or diarrhea, it should be taken to the vet as soon as possible.
Keep Cats Away from Plants:
- To keep Areca Palm away from cats, keep the plant in a high place where cats cannot reach it.
- Give the cat interesting toys to distract him, so he doesn’t look at the tree.